Only problem is…
He’s a balding yellow man with a uni brow and an orange nose. Also, he has just three fingers and a thumb on each hand.
Yes, that’s right, the muppet nobody loved has found a place in Mackenzie’s heart.
I bring you… “Buh” :
After some reflection, I did come up with a few things that endear him to my daughter:
– It’s always nice to find someone with even less hair than yourself.
– He wears shoes. Don’t underestimate the power of shoes to a 1 year old who can consistently identify them.
– His pants happen to be green. Green happens to be the only color Mackenzie reliably identifies. So about 13 times a day, she proudly points to his pants and says “pahn!” Then with a sly smile and a calculated head nod, she follows it up with the triumphant “geeeeen!”
– His unibrow has actually come in handy. Unfortunately for Bert, Mackenzie uses it as a convenient handle for towing him around the house.
– She’s too young to cringe at the ivory mock turtleneck he wears.
Of course, the relationship goes both ways, as any good relationship does. Things Bert gets out of it:
– Lots of love. More love than he’s had in his whole life, probably. Until Mackenzie, everyone favored Ernie and I’m sure that fact was not lost on poor Bert.
– His teeth brushed regularly.
– Diaper changes around the clock.