- Had a great outing with Scott and Mackenzie and my mother-in-law, Nancy, picking strawberries at a farm
- Surprised Scott with an early father’s day present of homemade jam (he adores it and I’ve always hesitated because of the sugar content.)
- Tried three different versions of low-sugar strawberry jams, and one batch of low-sugar blueberry jam. All are tasty and the cooked jams set up. The verdict is still out on the freezer jams… I’m nervous they’ll be too syrupy.
- Froze four quarts of crushed strawberries to use as waffle-toppers.
- Made more homemade whole wheat pita bread, including a batch to freeze.
- Accidentally surprised Scott with an early medical school graduation present: A beautiful Wusthof Santoku knife. He was really attracted to the slicing and dicing of surgery. Now that we’re jumping into family practice, we’re going to channel that passion into the kitchen! 🙂
- My very very favorite… I made homemade veggie bouillon today. Enough for a year. Without cooking anything. It blows our favorite store-bought stuff out of the water and is much better for you. This will be its own post, but I used the recipe found here. I’m seriously dancing right now, I’m so happy. As it turns out it’s hard to type when you’re dancing.
Oh yeah, and I did a good job at work today too! Thank goodness for Scott and Nancy who made such a banner day possible.
In the interest of keeping it real, some things I did NOT do today:
- Exercise. Had a headache, we had massive thunderstorms tonight, and I was plain tired at the end of the day. Skipping exercise has become a habit during this pregnancy, unfortunately.
- Shower. I kept thinking I’d do it after picking berries, after canning, etc. Nope, never happened!
- Dust. I still haven’t gotten to it since we got back, which means we’re pushing 3 months of dust in our house right now.
- Garden. I still have seeds (seeds!) to get in the ground and can’t seem to make time when it’s not pouring down rain.
- The laundry. We aren’t too behind, except that Mackenzie *may* (or may not) have wet out of her diaper last night. And she was already using backup sheets due to a failed attempt at underwear during naptime yesterday. What that means is that she is currently sleeping on peed-on sheets, though I tell myself it could have been sweat. Either way, tasty.
In the next few days, we have:
- Scott’s graduation. A 2 1/2 hour extravaganza that extends at least an hour past Mackenzie’s bedtime. Wish us luck!
- The Columbus Arts Festival. We loved it last year and can’t wait to go again.
- A fancy dinner out to celebrate Scott’s graduation. Looks like we’ll be going to M again, woop!
- The gallery hop downtown. We’ve been meaning to go for four years. The stars have aligned and this is the weekend.
- Farmer’s markets. We just polished off the last of the leafies from our CSA box and though our fridge is still bursting with produce, I know we’ll be ready to restock on Saturday.