It’s been pretty quiet on the blog front and it’s probably time I explained the reason.
59 days ago I got sick and I haven’t gotten any better.
- Fatigue – A month ago, Mackenzie woke me up after I fell asleep reading aloud to the girls. “Caitlyn’s on the kitchen table!” … and she was. That was not the last time that same scenario played out.
- Loss of mental faculty – Last week I went to pour dried split peas into a big sieve… while holding the sieve upside down. Split peas rained down on the entire kitchen.
- Loss of motor control – I carried a bowl of salad to my neighbor’s house, and just walking down the street I managed to fling the bowl of salad into the air, fertilizing the lawn and sidewalk with mixed greens and croutons. Thanks for using a plastic bowl, Friend!
- Nausea – I don’t even want to talk about it except to say, I’d prefer not to have it.
- Excitement – Sometimes (when the nausea subsides) (and this is usually brief) I get so happy thinking about *why* I’m sick that I scoop Caitlyn up and dance around the room with Mackenzie.
Yep, you guessed it. I have a gummy bear in the oven:
Because we’ve had a missed miscarriage at 9 weeks before, the ultrasound at 9 weeks was scary for us. I had already been sick 4 weeks and kept imagining that either it was all for naught and we had already lost the baby, or that there were lots* of babies in there causing all the nausea.
We were so relieved and grateful to see just the one little kidney bean, paddling around with a strong heartbeat.
Things I’m looking forward to, from my current vantage point lying flat out on the sofa (or the floor… sometimes mothers can’t be picky):
- October 9th – I’m actually due on September 25th but I’m already trying to psyche myself up NOT to get induced if I can help it. Two weeks past my due date I hope to have a baby and to be free of any “should-I-just-accept-the-pitocin-and-get-it-over-with-early” anxiety.
- Being surprised about gender – Scott is NOT coming to the next ultrasound and we will be delighted to welcome either Bean Girl #3 or Bean Boy #1 to the party when the time comes.
- 1 Month from now. I’ll be 18 weeks pregnant at that point and I’m banking on feeling a lot better by then.
- Soaking up these next months with my two girls. The time I spent with Mackenzie before Caitlyn arrived was so precious to me. I made a special effort to build her up and strengthen our bond and it paid off big-time.
- Going to Disneyworld in August, 8 months pregnant. Oh, hmmm… I’m actually going to try not to think about that one just yet.
*I have two sets of twins among my nieces and nephews and love them to bits. But twins are TOUGH!